ABOUT
  • The UK's dedicated running injury site, fuelling your recovery with essential recovery info and great deals on all things running

25 Best Motivational Running Quotes of All Time

By on Apr 7, 2014
running quotes to motivate

The Runner’s High

Kara Goucher (read more)

Running allows me to set my mind free. Nothing seems impossible, nothing unattainable.

Image by Pedro Moura Pinheiro

Amby Burfoot (read more)

The true but rare runner’s high is a zone that we enter when everything seems to click perfectly, when time stands still, and when we can run almost without effort.

running motivation quote

Image by Joseph Cote

E. Neil Culbertson (read more)

Runners don’t do drugs, they make their own…naturally.

Image by USAG Humphreys

Post script

Many elite runners rely heavily on motivational words, such as those above and other running mantras. That is consistent with research that confirms the idea that motivational techniques can be highly effective.

Take for example this meta-analysis of 32 sports psychology studies, published in Perspectives on Psychological Science.

The researchers were able to confirm the suggested link between self-talk and performance. They found that how athletes use self-talk really can have a significant impact on how they perform.

As noted by Peter Crocker, sports psychologist and professor at the University of British Columbia:

“Elite athletes have been using psychological techniques for years…it used to be that something had to be wrong for an athlete to consult a sports psychologist, now they do it to gain an edge.”

Resources

For more information on the relationship between sports performance and motivational techniques such as self-talk, see the following paper:

Hatzigeorgiadis, A., Zourbanos, N., Galanis, E., & Theodorakis, Y. (2011), Self-Talk and Sports Performance: A Meta-Analysis, Perspectives on Psychological Science, July, vol. 6 no. 4, pages 348-356.

For a clear, concise guide to self-talk in sports, I’d also recommend this short post on TheMotionMachine.com.

In researching this post, I was inspired by some great articles by other running fanatics. A special mention goes to Running With Horses, Amy Reinink, Thoughts About Running, Runners Feed, and Strength Running.

While there are one or two common quotes that clearly appeal to us all, I was struck by the diversity of quotes that motivate different runners. I hope that within this post you have found one or two quotes that really do the job in helping to motivate you.

Featured Image by Luke Ma

Please share

If you think this article might interest other runners, then please share. Just click the buttons below and grab your free report on the best motivational resources for runners as a small thank you from us.

running injury arrow

What do you think

Finally, what motivates you to run? Do you have a favourite quote that I’ve missed? Or perhaps a favourite running video (if so, check out this collection of the greatest videos for running motivation of all time).

Post a comment below to share your thoughts on the 25 Best Motivational Running Quotes of All Time…

LIKE MORE?

We respect your email privacy

Get access nowPS This is the easy way to gain access on a mobile - click the button above, then hit send when the email pops up. Job done.

Share your thoughts

More in General, Trending
Image of Mo Farah and Paula Radcliffe at Bupa Great North Run
Why Mo Farah Lost The Great North Run and Will Come Back Stronger

The scene was set for another sensational Mo Farah sprint finish and inevitable victory. But Sunday's Great North Run had...

Close