- The UK's dedicated running injury site, fuelling your recovery with essential recovery info and great deals on all things running
Brooklyn fatality mars glorious weekend of running
Details have emerged over the past 48 hours of a tragedy that struck the Brooklyn half-marathon on Saturday.
- A 31-year-old male runner collapsed shortly after finishing the half-marathon.
- He had started running at 7am in the race’s first wave, before collapsing at 9:09 a.m.
- From the finish line in Coney Island, he was immediately attended to by on-site medical staff who then transported him to Coney Island Hospital.
- The New York City Fire Department confirmed that the runner died of a heart attack.
- The runner’s name has not been released out of respect to his family.
Reactions to the Brooklyn half-marathon tragedy
Runner’s World quotes Chris Weiller, a spokesperson for New York Road Runners:
We are deeply saddened by the passing of a participant following the 2014 NYRR Brooklyn Half. Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family and those close to him.
Many other runners appeared unaware of the tragedy. One runner, Sean Dunne, reported how “the atmosphere was electric from start to finish”.
More on the Brooklyn half-marathon tragedy
Fatality mars glorious weekend of running (20 May 2014)
Coverage of this weekend's tragic death at the Brooklyn Half-Marathon
Runners World reports:
"A runner died after finishing New York Road Runner's Brooklyn Half Marathon this past Saturday, according to a spokesperson for NYRR. The 31-year-old male runner collapsed at the finish line in Coney Island shortly after finishing the race. He was immediately attended to by on-site medical staff who then transported him to Coney Island Hospital."
A very different perspective:
"MORE THAN 25,000 runners made their way on the New York underground early Saturday morning to participate in the Brooklyn Half-Marathon: the atmosphere was electric from start to finish, with a huge emphasis on community at this year's marathon."
Local news coverage of the tragedy:
"CONEY ISLAND - The Brooklyn Half Marathon ended in tragedy on Saturday, with a 31-year-old runner dead after he collapsed at the finish line, race officials said Monday. The man, whose identity was not immediately released, was running in the race's first wave, which started at 7 a.m., and fell at West 16th Street and the Coney Island boardwalk about 9:09 a.m., the FDNY said."